The stellarium.org home page contains links to the latest official releases for Windows, Mac OS, and a source package for Linux. The files themselves are hosted on Stellarium's project page at SourceForge.net:
As of December 2016, the latest version is 0.15.1. Direct links:
- Windows (32-bit, installer)
- Windows (32-bit, classic for XP or external plugins, installer)
- Windows (64-bit, installer)
- Mac OS X package (64-bit, Intel only)
- Linux tarball (source package) (for binary packages for Ubuntu, see below)
Older versions can be downloaded from the same place:
Stellarium packages for Ubuntu
If you are running Ubuntu, a Stellarium package exists in the Ubuntu repositories. It can be installed either through the Software Center, or through a terminal with the following command:
sudo apt-get install stellarium
Stellarium Releases PPA
As the Stellarium release schedule does not follow closely the Ubuntu release schedule, often the Stellarium version in Ubuntu's repositories is not the latest one. Stellarium's team provides a Launchpad PPA (personal package archive) that allows Ubuntu users to obtain the latest released version.
The page of the PPA in Launchpad is here: Stellarium Ubuntu Releases.
To install the packages from this PPA, you need to add it to your system's Software Sources. The PPA address is:
You can add it either in the Software Center ("Edit" -> "Software Sources..." -> "Other software" -> "Add.."), or with a terminal, using the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stellarium/stellarium-releases sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install stellarium
Daily Builds PPA
There is also a "daily builds" PPA that provides automatically built packages from the latest development code. It is updated once daily, or less often if there are no changes to the code.
Warning: This is provided for testing purposes only. Nothing guarantees that the latest development code will be usable. Use it at your own risk! (Thankfully, Ubuntu makes removing packages easy.) For that reason, we don't provide detailed instructions for adding this PPA. If you don't know how to use a PPA, you shouldn't use this one.
Please do not report bugs found in unofficial builds. Also, treat them as you would any software whose source cannot be easily verified (i.e. with caution).
If you have, or know about, other unofficial builds (previews etc.), please list them here.
For Stellarium 0.10.2/Ubuntu i386
- Bundle containing AngleMeasure, CompassMarks, Ocular, TextUserInterface and Satellite plugins. Un-tar this in your ~/.stellarium directory: stellarium-plugin-bundle.tar.bz2
For Stellarium 0.10.2/Win32
- Bundle of plugins (AngleMeasure, CompassMarks, Ocular): stellarium-plugin-bundle.exe
- AngleMeasre 0.0.5 (including configurable display colors via the module.ini file) stellarium-anglemeasure-plugin.exe
- Satellites plugin installer (v0.1.1): stellarium-satellites-plugin.exe
For Stellarium 0.10.5/win32
- With the release of version 0.10.5 the principal plugins are now static and will be automatically loaded when invoked from the configure menu
- Barry Gerdes maintains some updated pre-built patches and extras for Windows systems, which you can find on his site.
- Zip file containing all the open source telescope servers here.
Some people have problems with their browsers: the browser silently unpacks the gziped file. If you suffer from such a problem, just rename the downloaded file to TelescopeServerLx200.exe (or similar).
- With version 0.10.5 the expanded telescope control plugin is now loaded and configured from the plugin section of the confugure menu (F2)